Sunday, June 28, 2009

3rd WEEK in L.A with NOAH

Hey there everybody, I know it's been too long since I've last updated my blog, but there's just too much going on here....!!!!!

Anyway.

How is everything going for you guys ? Back in Europe or here in the same continent as i am ? I hope as well as me for a change...hahaha

So where can i start ?! Okay, here's my 3rd week in Los Angeles:

Last week-end was enough resting, and it felt good i must say. A little break never hurt anybody right? So i spent my week-end by the pool and in my room re-writing some of my lyrics, and reading my book, which by the way i cannot say what is it otherwise you'll make fun....I'll give you one clew, it has 4 tomes, and it's so exciting and easy to read for my situation right now, like it's taking me instantly inside the story but also i can snap out very easily as soon as i hear something i like or dislike going on in the studio. It holds me patient and i fall asleep much faster than i used to, back in Paris. Can you believe that i haven't seen one single movie since I'm here ?! (OK except from Star Wars with Stephan's kid the first days i was here but that doesn't count), neither TV. Me that usually can watch 2 movies before to fall asleep.... It had been a long time since that happened to me, always to much anxiety and thoughts going on in my mind before closing my eyes, and i like that it has changed here. Probably because I'm doing what makes me happy, no?.... so i don't get to miss you all before i close my eyes, instead i put myself to sleep with some crazy vampire-werewolves stories.... Lol. I'm at the Tome 2, one tome per week here basically.

Let's get started on the real stuff here.

THE STUDIO

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were focused on Greg's drums and percussion because he was leaving on Thursday morning for a month in Mexico (bouhouhou) to find his darling and work on a new piano-project. But he played beautifully on all of my songs, I'm so so grateful !! Let's just say that the kid's got talent and that he and his New York band called « Priestbird » (www.myspace.com/priestbird) are the little favourite ones of « Pearl Jam » whose guitarist produces their album too. Isn't that a good proof?! That day, the weather was so shitty, that we seemed all a little down. But then Devendra showed up.

He came to the studio while we were fixing the drums on the chorus of « Full Moon Doll », so it was playing on & on, and he started singing the chorus at some point, “she will become this downtown girl...“ I was really proud and it showed me this song has a sticking-to-your-mind-kinda-melody. He was passing by to pick up Greg and go play an acoustic live performance to commemorate Jeff Buckley and the coming out of his Life-documentary to the Largo. When i heard, i so much wanted to go, so i pulled my sad-puppy-face to Noah so he could give me a couple of hours off, and thankfully he agreed and answered “but of course my dear, go and have fun!“ YEAH !!

Once again in the « El Camino » car, i went on my second concert here in L.A. Wowowowowoow!!! And it was worth it... arriving with the Artists is not the same thing, as you can imagine. And all those artists who performed there, Fiona Apple, Aimee Mann, from Tom Waits to Chuck Berry, wow!! Once again i was all moved, with shaky hands and heart bumping almost out of my chest, while they all looked so casual and used to this kind of situations by now. But i loved it.

Devendra had been asked, with a couple of others musicians of the L.A scene, to play after the projection of the new DVD-Documentary on Jeff Buckley's life. Talking about a great project! So he opened the show with Greg, it was a very private show, with only 50 people who had paid their tickets very expensive, coz it was a sort of charity event or something. Anyway, the show was incredible, i was blown away! As i had never seen Devendra playing live yet, he simply took my breath away. The voice, the melodies, the lyrics, it was all so so good god damn it!!! Plus he was being so funny on stage, that everyone was laughing in the audience and wanted more of him than any other performers of that evening i'm sure!! Greg sang perfectly on top of his voice and it made beautiful harmonies, plus the congas and the little bells and sand he was shaking. All this made me want to write better songs as soon as i got back to the studio. At the end it was great being able to approach them and hug them and congratulate them!

We spent some time outside with some very cool people, musicians, artists etc.... I got to meet this guy, Marc-Edouard, director of music-videos, check the last Devendra's « Carmencita » with Natalie Portman. He will pass by the studio one of these days to listen and see if we can do something together. Great!!

Next time you'll hear about the photo-shoot in the desert and the music-video project.....

bye guys,

love love xxx

tamara


1 comment:

  1. dear tamara, i love your songs so much, especially fly and the ant and tiny little phobias. cause i am a phobic little girl, this song always makes me smile about myself. thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete